Splitting columns in Power BI is a common data transformation technique that separates a single column into multiple columns based on a delimiter or a pattern. Here’s how to split columns in Power BI:
- Select the table that contains the column you want to split.
- Click on the column you want to split to select it.
- In the “Transform Data” tab, click on the “Split Column” dropdown button, and select either “By Delimiter” or “By Number of Characters” depending on your needs.
- If you select “By Delimiter”, specify the delimiter character that separates the values in the column. Power BI will preview the results of the split in a new column.
- If you select “By Number of Characters”, specify the number of characters you want to split the column by. Power BI will preview the results of the split in a new column.
- If the split was successful, rename the new columns and make any other necessary adjustments.
- Once you’re satisfied with the results, click “Close & Apply” to save the changes to the data model.
That’s it! Now you have successfully split a column into multiple columns in Power BI.